Result of an enquiry (J Thomas) heard by the Disciplinary Panel on Thursday 14 July
1. The Disciplinary Panel of the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) on 14 July 2016 held an enquiry to consider whether or not Jamie Thomas committed a breach of Regulation 126(iii) of the BHA Regulations for Point-to-Point Steeple Chases in respect of him having taken the wrong course when riding PARKHAM JACK in the Volvo Ten-Year-Olds And Over PPORA Club Members Race at Trebudannon on 8 May 2016.
2. Prior to the enquiry, Mr Thomas and the BHA had agreed that they had no objection to the Panel members sitting. Also, Mr Thomas had agreed that the matter could be heard in his absence.
3. The Panel noted that at the Steward’s enquiry conducted on the day, it had been concluded that Mr Thomas had taken the wrong course and the Steward’s disqualified PARKHAM JACK from the race and referred the breach to the BHA Head Office.
4. Mr Williams brought to the Panel’s attention Regulation 122(iii) which requires a rider to turn around or pull up if they have taken the wrong course.
5. Having viewed the recording of the race, the Panel concluded that Mr Thomas had taken the wrong course and neither turned around, nor pulled up. Mr Thomas had contended at the Steward’s enquiry on the day that he had taken the correct course.
6. Having considered the evidence, the Panel found Mr Thomas in breach of Regulation 126(iii) and fined him £125.
Notes to Editors:
1. The Panel for the enquiry was: Philip Curl (Chair), Jeremy Barlow, Celina Carter