- Applications open until 10 January 2015
- Two-week training course in Newmarket, followed by eight-week paid industry placement
- 2015 marked 25 years of the programme with a reception for alumni at Newmarket during the Dubai Future Champions Festival
The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) is pleased to announce that applications are now open for the 2016 British Horseracing Graduate Development Programme.
The Graduate Programme has provided valuable training and development to over 400 graduates since its inception 25 years ago, with the 10-week Programme helping to launch the careers of many successful and high profile figures in British Racing.
The Programme begins with a two-week residential course in Newmarket during July, where graduates attend seminars and take part in field trips held by key figures in Racing. The course explains how various aspects of the sport work together and gives an insight in to how the different organisations function within the industry. It aids the graduates’ professional development, but also provides the opportunity to build valuable professional relationships with people from across the sport to develop their own careers.
Graduates then begin an eight-week paid placement with one of the wide-ranging sponsors within the industry. In 2015, placement opportunities included roles at the BHA, Great British Racing, the Racecourse Association, Racing Post, Timeform, and Weatherbys, as well as a variety of posts at Jockey Club Racecourses and Arena Racing Company. 60 per cent of graduates from the 2015 Programme have already secured full-time positions whilst others have returned to complete their masters.
The Programme reached its 25 year anniversary in 2015, which was marked with a reception for 100 guests, made up of alumni and sponsors, at Newmarket’s Rowley Mile on the Friday of the Dubai Future Champions Festival.
Carole Goldsmith, Director of People and Development for the BHA, said:
“The British Horseracing Graduate Development Programme provides graduates from any background a unique overview of the entire British Racing industry. The two-week residential course in Newmarket offers a good basis for the graduates to learn about the different facets of the industry and forge relationships with industry personnel, then the eight-week placement enables them to further develop their skills and knowledge in a work-based scenario.
“Having attended this year’s anniversary reception I was taken aback by the scope of people in the industry who have taken part in the Programme, which is testament to the strength of the scheme over the last 25 years.”
Interested graduates are encouraged to visit www.careersinracing.com for further information, including how to apply and the recruitment process. Applications will be taken from recent graduates or those due to graduate in 2016.
Notes to editors:
1. Alumni who haven’t been in touch with the BHA for the 25 year anniversary reception are urged to contact the BHA to update their contact details for future events. Contact email@example.com find a British Horseracing Graduate Development Programme Alumni group on Linkedin:
2. There are still opportunities for employers to take part in the Programme and to sponsor a placement in summer 2016. To enquire about how to sponsor a placement or to find out more about the advantages of taking part in the Programme, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. About Careers in Racing – Careers in Racing run by the Industry People and Development Department of the BHA, to promote careers opportunities and training across the Industry. Visit: www.careersinracing.com for more information.