In September 2014 the BHA announced that charges had been brought against licensed jockey Richie McGrath, former licensed trainer Kate Walton and registered persons Mark Aspey, Carl Flint, Kristian Robson, David Stevens and David Greenwood.
Following receipt of Walton’s and Greenwood’s formal responses to the charges, the BHA carefully considered the content and the supporting evidence, which was previously unavailable to the BHA.
As a result, the BHA has informed Walton, Flint, Robson, Stevens and Greenwood that the charges against them have been withdrawn.
The BHA will, however, be continuing with the charges against McGrath and Aspey. The hearing is scheduled to take place on 23 March, with seven days set aside for the hearing.
The charges against McGrath and Aspey are as follows:
1. Whether Richie McGrath and Mark Aspey, in the period between about 1 October 2009 and 18 July 2012, acted in breach of Rule (A) 41.2 by conspiring together and/or with others unknown to commit a corrupt or fraudulent practice, namely the use of inside information about the likely performance of horses for betting purposes when:
a) the information was (i) known by a licensed jockey, Richie McGrath, as a result of acting as a licensed jockey and (ii) not information in the public domain or regarded as such under the Rules of Racing (and hence ‘Inside Information’ as defined within Rule (A) 36) and would provide a bettor with an unfair advantage in the betting market.
b) the information was or included the fact that Richie McGrath was prepared, if necessary, to omit to ride the horses on their merits so as to prevent it from winning or being placed in the race.
2. Whether Richie McGrath acted in breach of Rule (B) 59.2 by intentionally failing to ensure that he rode the horses set out in the additional table of races on their merits.
The BHA will not comment further at this time while disciplinary proceedings remain ongoing.
Notes to Editors
1. The initial announcement regarding charges being brought against McGrath, Aspey, Walton et al. can be found here: http://www.britishhorseracing.com/press_releases/notice-forthcoming-disciplinary-panel-hearing-aspey-mcgrath-et-al/
2. The table of races involved can be found here: http://www.britishhorseracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Table-of-All-Races.pdf
3. The Disciplinary Panel for the hearing involving McGrath and Aspey will be: Tim Charlton QC (Chair), Hopper Cavendish and Celina Carter.