Preparatory work on the Fixture List for 2000 has now been completed and detailed recommendations are ready for consideration by the Directors of the British Horseracing Board at their special meeting on 9th August.
The BHB’s Fixtures Allocation Group, which includes representatives of racecourses, owners and trainers, has put the finishing touches to its recommended Fixture List, which was discussed at a meeting with racecourses yesterday. Subject to approval by the Board, the full List will be published on 12th August. Among the main points are:
A total of 62 Sunday fixtures, including a continuous programme of 14 consecutive summer Sundays, each with three fixtures, from 4th June to 3rd September.
A full programme of evening racing comprising 162 fixtures on 76 evenings including six Saturday evenings during the summer period on 13th, 20th and 27th May, 1st July, 19th and 26th August and the maintenance of 16 Saturday evening floodlit fixtures outside the summer.
No racing on Millennium Day, Saturday 1st January.
Instead, four fixtures recommended for Sunday 2nd January, at Exeter, Lingfield, Plumpton and Uttoxeter.
Other racecourses which had applied for Millennium Day fixtures to race as follows: Cheltenham on 3rd January, Catterick and Leicester on 5th January.
The Easter weekend in 2000 is the latest since 1943, with the result that some major festivals are scheduled later than usual. Among the key dates are:
* Cheltenham National Hunt Festival: 14th to 16th March
* Aintree Martell Grand National Meeting: 6th to 8th April
* Sagitta 2000 and 1000 Guineas, Newmarket: 5th, 6th and 7th May
* Vodafone Oaks and Derby, Epsom: 9th and 10th June
* Royal Ascot: 20th to 23rd June
* Ascot King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Meeting: 28th and 29th July
* Glorious Goodwood: 1st to 5th August
* York August Meeting: 22nd to 24th August
* Doncaster St Leger Meeting: 6th to 9th September
Note to Editors:
Further details will not be released until publication of the Fixture List for 2000 on 12th August.