- Nominations close on Wednesday 16 November
- £120,000 in prize money on offer to winners and runners up
- Nominations can be made by anyone within the industry, including trainers, owners, managers and colleagues
- Awards benefit the whole team, with separate prizes awarded to the yard of each winner
Today marks the final week to nominate stud and stable staff for the 2017 Godolphin Stud and Stable Staff Awards.
The nomination period closes Wednesday 16 November for the 13th running of the annual awards that recognise and reward the outstanding skills, commitment and contribution of racing’s 6,000 stud and stable staff.
Nominations can be made by anyone within the industry, so trainers, owners, managers and colleagues are all encouraged to nominate during the final days.
Sponsored by Godolphin and run by the British Horseracing Authority in association with the Racing Post, the awards offer more than £120,000 in prize money, with up to £40,000 available to a single yard or stud.
The 2017 award winners will be selected from a shortlist who will be interviewed by a panel of judges, overseen by Brough Scott.
The winners will then be announced during a ceremony to be hosted by the newly-appointed face of ITV Racing, Ed Chamberlin on 20 February 2017 at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower Hotel in Knightsbridge, London.
The awards are an important event in the racing calendar and are a good example of the racing community coming together to acknowledge the work that goes on behind the scenes.
Nick Rust, Chief Executive of the BHA, said:
“With just one week left to nominate, I’d like to remind and encourage owners, trainers, colleagues and managers to show your appreciation to the workforce racing couldn’t be without. These awards are so important in giving employers and the industry the opportunity to recognise and reward the outstanding work stud and stable staff do all day, every day.”
Nomination forms can be downloaded from the recently launched website www.studandstablestaffawards.co.uk, via www.racingpost.com and submitted by post. Alternatively, simply text AWARDS to 07469 145 150 and a member of the team will arrange for a form to be sent to you.
Notes to editors:
1. The categories are: Leadership Award, Dedication Award, Rider/Groom Award, Stud Staff Award, Rory MacDonald Community Award and, David Nicholson Newcomer Award.
2. The winner of each of the first four categories will receive a prize of £5,000 with an additional £5,000 also being awarded to the winner’s yard or stud. Two runners-up in each of these categories will win £2,000 each, with the same amount going to their yard or stud.
The winner of the Rory MacDonald Community Award will receive £5,000, with the same amount going to a charity of their choice. The two runners-up will receive £2,000, with the same amount going to a charity of their choice.
The winner of the David Nicholson Newcomer Award will receive £2,000, with the same amount going to their yard or stud, while two runners-up will receive £1,000 each, with the same amount for their yard. The winner of this award will also receive an additional prize of a five-day educational trip to Dubai. Return flights and accommodation in a five-star hotel included.
The Awards will also recognise an Employee of the Year, who will be selected from the winners of the first four categories. That winner will receive an additional prize of £15,000, with the same amount going to their yard or stud.
3. Last year saw the launch of the ‘Rory MacDonald Community Award’, which will acknowledge those who support stud and stable staff or have made an outstanding contribution to benefit the wider racing community. The Awards provide an opportunity for the racing industry to highlight and thank the hard work put in by stud and stable staff across the country, and this award in particular acknowledges people who have had a positive impact on their community.