- Largest number of nominations in the history of the awards
- Over £120,000 in prize money on offer to winners and runners up
A total of 301 applications for 260 candidates have been received for this year’s Godolphin Stud and Stable Staff Awards. This represents the largest number of nominations received in the 13 years since the awards were founded.
Brough Scott, Chairman of the Judging Panel said:
“Seeing the nominations rise each year is fantastic as it shows the racing industry is becoming more and more appreciative of these amazing awards. Sheikh Mohammed has done many fine things through Godolphin, but few better than the ongoing commitment to the Stable Staff Awards which are now established in all major racing territories around the world. We have also seen a rise in the number of nominations from Jump yards and Studs which is extremely pleasing, the awards are for everyone and every team in the sport – large or small, north or south, jump or flat.
“Judging the nominees is a difficult task but an immense privilege and I feel lucky just to be a part of the awards.”
Over the course of the next few weeks two judges per category will bring the nominations down to a shortlist of just 10 nominees per category.
The shortlisted nominees will be announced in mid-December. Once shortlisted the nominees will have a phone interview with both judges of their category. After this the judges will have to bring the shortlist down to just three finalist nominees per category.
All of the finalists will then be invited with their close family and friends to attend the awards ceremony hosted by ITV Racing’s Ed Chamberlin at the Jumeirah Carlton Towers in Knightsbridge on Monday 20 February 2017.
The Awards ceremony follows a morning of judging that takes place in High Holborn London, the finalists will then have lunch at the Houses of Parliament followed by the evening ceremony.
Notes to editors:
1. The categories are: Leadership Award, Dedication Award, Rider/Groom Award, Stud Staff Award, Rory MacDonald Community Award, David Nicholson Newcomer Award.
2. The winner of each of the first four categories will receive a prize of £5,000 with an additional £5,000 also being awarded to the winner’s yard or stud. Two runners-up in each of these categories will win £2,000 each, with the same amount going to their yard or stud.
The winner of the Rory MacDonald Community Award will receive £5,000, with the same going to a charity of their choice. The two runners-up will receive £2,000, with the same going to a charity of their choice.
The winner of the David Nicholson Newcomer Award will receive £2,000, with the same amount going to their yard or stud, while two runners-up will receive £1,000 each, with the same amount for their yard. The winner of this award will also receive an additional prize of a 5 day Educational trip to Dubai. Return flights and accommodation in a 5* hotel included.
The Awards will also recognise an Employee of the Year, who will be selected from the winners of the first four categories. That winner will receive an additional prize of £15,000, with the same amount going to their yard or stud.
3. Last year saw the launch of the ‘Rory MacDonald Community Award’, which will acknowledge those who support stud and stable staff or have made an outstanding contribution to benefit the wider racing community. The Awards provide an opportunity for the racing industry to highlight and thank the hard work put in by stud and stable staff across the country, and this award in particular acknowledges people who have had a positive impact on their community.
4. A breakdown of the nomination numbers over the past 5 years is below: