Race Time Planning for 2022 World Cup
The BHA has implemented a number of adjustments intended to ensure that British Racing is maximising the windows of opportunity around the highest-profile matches at the World Cup this November and December.
Due to the timing of the World Cup, and the early nature of GMT sunset at this time of year, there is a limit to the number of changes that can be made without significantly disrupting British Racing,
However, the intention is to schedule as many of our best races in the slots most likely to make them visible to the highest number of customers, acknowledging the high media and betting coverage the World Cup is likely to consume over the next four weeks.
In those efforts, a number of initiatives have been implemented:
1) When compiling the 2023 Fixture List, the industry agreed to move the November Flat Break back two weeks, so that it takes place during the first week of the World Cup (21st-26th), as this was considered likely to be the highest profile week when customers were most likely to be attracted elsewhere, thereby limiting the impact of having no Floodlight racing in particular.
2) Changes to race times have been made where possible to avoid direct clashes with all kick offs, and to schedule races in the slots just before kick-off, during halftimes and after the final whistles.
- 21/11 – 28/11: 13:00, 16:00 & 19:00 kick-offs
- 29/11 – 6/12 & 9/12 – 10/12: 15:00 & 19:00 kick-offs
- 13/12 – 14/12: 19:00 kick offs
- 17/12 – 18/12: 15:00 offs
This includes evening meetings where possible running 20 and 50 minutes past the hour.
3) Where racing fixtures do take place during World Cup matches, running orders have been optimised to ensure where possible that the most competitive and highest profile races on the card take place either before, during half-time, or after the match in that session.
4) Following feedback from betting partners, the following specific measures have also been taken around several key matches:
- 21/11 England vs Iran 13:00: Likely most competitive races programmed pre-match, during the half-time interval, and post-match.
- 29/11 Wales vs England 19:00 : Wolverhampton Floodlight card to end by 18:50
- 03/12 Group A Winners vs Group B Runners-up 15:00: Moved Tingle Creek Chase to 14.55
- 13/12 First Semi Final 19:00: Wolverhampton Floodlight card to end by 18:45
- 14/12 Second Semi Final 19:00: Kempton Floodlight card to end by 18:30
- 17/12 Third Place Play-off 15:00 : Moved Silver Cup Handicap Chase to 14.55
*Times remain subject to change
It is not possible to entirely avoid any clashes, and due to the intricacies of individual racedays and other considerations, there may be occasions where we have been unable to make changes in line with our intentions set out above.
In conclusion, we have made these changes in what we believe are the best interests of the sport, by looking to maximise the total opportunity for British Racing in and around a World Cup that it is known will take up the majority of the sporting window over the next month.
The BHA Racing Team will continue to monitor, and where necessary be flexible, with race times and running orders throughout the tournament, in particular accounting for the on-going performance of the Home Nations.
Any questions on this, or indeed any other issue, are welcomed at Racing@Britishhorseracing.com