Careers in Racing, The British Horseracing Authority’s (BHA) Careers Marketing campaign on behalf of the racing industry has today launched a new Volunteer Career Maker programme to inspire the next generation to work in British racing.
It’s aim is to enable the racing industry to have a greater reach into schools on a national level and provide students with a greater understanding of the career and job opportunities available in the sport.
The programme will use a network of volunteers, to be known as Career Makers, to share their experiences with students at careers fairs across the country so they can hear the many advantages of a career in racing first hand.
The volunteers will be given training and support to attend local careers fairs and schools and events in their region.
The launch has been designed to coincide with the start of National Careers Week (NCW) today which careersinracing are proud to sponsor alongside title sponsor Royal Bank of Scotland. BHA’s Head of Careers Marketing and Recruitment Zoe Elliott will be speaking at the NCW launch event in Westminster alongside a range of MP’s and Career professionals, a full list of which can be seen here.
“The best people to talk about the great career opportunities that racing can provide are those who have experienced it for themselves or who have a genuine passion for the industry,that was the idea behind the career maker programme.
“It also means as an industry we can be visible at more school events than ever before, and we have already had lots of applications from people who want to spread the word about how fulfilling working in our sport and with horses can be.
“Launching the programme in National Career Week, when the industry is coming together to promote working in racing, is a great platform for us to spread the message both to recruit more volunteers and to encourage schools to get in touch with us about their events.
There are many other racing industry activites throughout the country during National Careers Week, which runs from 4th-9th March:
- Teams from The Northern Racing College, The British Racing School, The National Stud and Careers in Racing will be attending careers events across the country including National Apprenticeship Show at Sandown Park Racecourse, Manchester Careers Event, West Suffolk College, Norfolk Skills Show, and Leeds Apprenticeship Show
- Lingfield Park will be hosting an Active Communities Networkyouth group from South London to showcase the wide range of jobs available as part of the Take The Reins programme
- Social Media activity and case studies will be showcased across the week aligning with National Careers Week
Notes to editors:
- More information on becoming a career maker can be found here. Information on the events taking place throughout racing as part of National Career Week can be found on Careers in Racing’s Twitter, Facebook and Instagram pages.
- More information about National Career Week, which takes place from 4th – 9th March 2019, can be found here.
Careers in Racing is the central careers recruitment and marketing brand for British racing run by the BHA. The team implements recruitment initiatives and marketing campaigns to promote racing careers and pathways to a range of audiences from school age to those looking to change careers.