- Careers in Racing and Racing Together join forces for inaugural day in Newmarket on 24 August
- Designed to give a wide variety of community groups an experience of different facets of racing industry
- Career options will be discussed with the groups to try and open up racing world to young people who may be interested
The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has today confirmed details of the inaugural ‘Explore Racing’ day, due to be run by Careers in Racing and Racing Together in Newmarket on Friday 24 August.
The day aims to give a wide range of community groups that Careers in Racing and Racing Together work with throughout the year an in-depth, hands on explanation of the racing industry and will include talks on career options as well as a tour of the British Racing School and an afternoon of racing at Newmarket’s July Course.
The variety of career options will be discussed with the groups with a focus on opening up the racing world to young people who may have an interest in joining the industry.
A large number of attendees are expected with groups being invited from Active Communities Network, Flying Futures, Ride High, Vauxhall City Farm and a number of young people currently involved with the Pony Racing Authority’s Youth Training Scheme.
Michelle Douglas, Careers Marketing and Recruitment Advisor at Careers in Racing, said:
“The inaugural ‘Explore Racing’ day is a brilliant opportunity to showcase the great range of career options that racing can provide.
“It will be fascinating to hear what the groups, many of whom haven’t had much contact with racing, think about the different aspects of the racing industry and racing as a sport.
“Our thanks must go to the British Racing School and Newmarket Racecourses for their support with the event and we are hoping it will be the start of many ‘Explore Racing’ days.”
Adam Harman, Community Engagement Manager for Racing Together, said:
“We are really excited about the inaugural ‘Explore Racing’ day and engaging with such a wide variety of community groups to show them what the racing industry really looks like.
“It is great to work with Careers in Racing again and we have a real opportunity to show the young people attending just what a fantastic sport racing is.”
Notes to editors:
1. Careers in Racing is the careers marketing arm of the British racing industry run by the BHA. Marketing campaigns include an extensive digital marketing campaign targeted at school leavers to promote training opportunities with a focus on racehorse care apprenticeships delivered by the Northern Racing College, British Racing School, The National Stud and Haddon Training. Other marketing activity includes partnerships with Racing to School, equine event sponsorship, attendance at equine & recruitment events and engagement with equine colleges and universities.
2. Racing Together is British racing’s community engagement activity and is a partnership of charities and other organisations who work across the sport to benefit others. It was formed to coordinate, support, represent and measure British racing’s community engagement activity that takes place right across the industry.