Four prospective new racecourses or new tracks within existing courses have been given the green light by BHB to take part in the allocation process for fixtures in 2006.
The BHB Board gave its approval to the quartet – all of which are All Weather Tracks offering Flat racing – following recommendations from its New Racecourses Committee (NRC), which had considered each application against BHB’s Guidelines for the Development of New Racecourses, issued in September 2004.
Two applications originally made and approved by the Board in 2003 and 2004 respectively were resubmitted with the courses concerned now seeking to participate in the 2006 allocation process. These were Great Leighs and Newmarket. Both proposals were unchanged from their original applications approved by the Board.
The Board also approved proposals from Newbury and Kempton Park, although it was noted that Newbury had not yet confirmed whether it would seek to participate in the 2006 allocation process for AWT fixtures.
All applicants are aware that the way in which fixtures are to be funded and allocated in 2006 remains uncertain. However, it continues to be the intention that all Flat racecourses will be able to bid for both existing and newly-created BHB National and Regional fixtures via a bidding process.
It is at present envisaged that the opportunities available for fixtures in 2006 will be (where applicable in each case):
(a) To transfer existing fixtures from within their own racecourse’s or racecourse group’s fixture list; and/or
(b) To purchase existing Racecourse Fixtures from other racecourses; and/or
(c) To bid for the available BHB National or BHB Regional Fixtures.
Summary of Formal Applications Considered by the New Racecourses Committee
APPROVED BY THE BHB BOARD TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 2006 FIXTURE ALLOCATION PROCESS
• GREAT LEIGHS
– a new racecourse
– All Weather Track
– Addition of All Weather Track; Flat Turf racing to continue
• KEMPTON PARK
– Addition of All Weather Track, replacing Flat Turf racing. Jump racing to continue
– Approved subject to Newbury’s confirmation that it wishes to participate in 2006
– Addition of All Weather Track; Flat and Jump Turf Racing to continue
NOT YET CONSIDERED BY THE BHB BOARD FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE 2006 FIXTURE ALLOCATION PROCESS
– Further discussion required between New Racecourses Committee and Musselburgh. Report to be made to the BHB Board at its 7th March meeting
• SEDGEFIELD (NORTHERN RACING)
– Application was approved by BHB Board in 2004 for 2005 fixture allocation process
– Northern Racing giving further consideration to whether it wishes to proceed in 2006; should it wish to do so, the Board will be asked to ratify the application