- Nominations open Wednesday 7 October
- Enhanced prize for the David Nicholson Newcomer Award – a five day educational trip to Dubai
- Nominations close on Wednesday 2 December 2015
Nominations open today (Wednesday 7 October) for the 2016 Godolphin Stud and Stable Staff Awards. The Awards, now in their 12th year, recognise and reward the outstanding dedication and skills of the stud and stable staff who are at the heart of Racing.
The Awards, sponsored by Godolphin and run by the British Horseracing Authority in association with the Racing Post, offer over £120,000 in prize money, with up to £40,000 available to a single yard or stud. The prizes will be presented in front of an invited audience on the evening of Monday 22 February 2016 at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower Hotel in Knightsbridge, London.
This year Godolphin are offering an additional prize to the winner of the David Nicholson Newcomer Award to complement the £2,000 prize money for the winner and £2,000 for their yard. For the first time, the winner will take part in a five-day educational trip to Dubai to learn more about the country’s racing, culture and customs. The prize includes a return flight and five nights’ accommodation at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel’s five-star resort.
The educational trip comprises of a stable visit to Al Quoz, the international headquarters for the Godolphin operation; Marmoom Stables; Hatta Stud farm, dedicated to retired horses on the border of Oman; the Dubai Equine Hospital; and an evening of racing at Meydan Racecourse. There will also be a day to enjoy tourist activities including swimming with dolphins and golf at the Emirates Golf Club.
Hugh Anderson, Managing Director of Godolphin and Darley (UK), said:
“Godolphin are very pleased to once again sponsor these prestigious awards. Since launching the awards in Britain 12 years ago they have gone from strength to strength and Godolphin are now using the British model to roll the Awards out globally. The stud and stable staff make up the fabric of the sport and these Awards are a wonderful opportunity to honour and reward their hard work and dedication that plays such a vital role in our industry.
“We hope the education trip to Dubai for the David Nicholson Newcomer Award winner will help develop young talent and an international understanding of the racing industry.”
The Awards are an important event in the racing calendar and are a good example of the racing community coming together to acknowledge the work that goes on behind the scenes. The new ‘Racing Community Award’ is a valuable addition this year, to recognise the contribution from people to benefit the wider community. To find out more about Racing’s work in the community visit our Racing Together webpage.
Nominations are now open for owners, trainers, colleagues and managers to show their appreciation for hard-working members of staff.
The nomination process is very simple and is available to trainers online via the Racing Administration website.
Nominations can be completed online via: stage.britishhorseracing.com/stablestaff
Nomination forms can also be downloaded at stage.britishhorseracing.com/stablestaff and via www.racingpost.com and submitted by post, or simply text AWARDS to 07970 527339 and a member of the team will arrange for a form to be sent to you.
Notes to editors:
1. The categories are: Leadership Award, Dedication Award, Rider/Groom Award, Stud Staff, Racing Community Award, David Nicholson Newcomer Award.
2. This year sees the launch of the ‘Racing Community’ Award, which will acknowledge those who support the stud and stable staff or have made an outstanding contribution to benefit the wider racing community. The Awards provide an opportunity for the racing industry to highlight and thank the hard work put in by stud and stable staff across the country, and this award in particular acknowledges people who have had a positive impact on their community. For more details about the Award please see: https://www.britishhorseracing.com/press_releases/new-category-added-for-the-2016-godolphin-stud-and-stable-staff-awards
3. The winner of each of the first four categories will receive a prize of £5,000 with an additional £5,000 also being awarded to the winner’s yard or stud. Two runners-up in each of these categories will win £2,000 each, with the same amount going to their yard or stud.
The winner of the Racing Community Award will receive £5,000, with the same going to a charity of their choice. The two runners-up will receive £2,000, with the same going to a charity of their choice.
The winner of the David Nicholson Newcomer Award will receive £2,000, with the same amount going to their yard or stud, while two runners-up will receive £1,000 each, with the same amount for their yard.
The Awards will also recognise an Employee of the Year, who will be selected from the winners of the first four categories. That winner will receive an additional prize of £15,000, with the same amount going to their yard or stud.