The Disciplinary Panel hearing regarding former licensed jockey Andrew Heffernan and eight unlicensed individuals (Rocky Michael Chopra, James Coppinger, Paul Garner, Kelly Inglis, Yogesh Joshee, Douglas Shelley, Pravin Shingadia and Mark Wilson) will commence on Monday 14th January 2013 at the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) Head Office at 75 High Holborn, London.
Ten working days have been set aside for the hearing, until 25th January. However, this is subject to change. There will then follow a period of consideration by the Disciplinary Panel before any result will be published.
The hearing is not open to the media or public, and the BHA will not make any comment regarding the hearing until the Disciplinary Panel’s findings have been published.
All nine individuals have been charged with a breach of Rule (A)41.2 of the Rules of Racing in that they conspired with other persons to commit a corrupt or fraudulent practice by:
- In the case of Heffernan, communicating directly or indirectly to one or more Betting Exchange account holders information relating to the prospects in the race of that horse
- In the case of the unlicensed individuals by placing bets and/or causing one or more other Betting Exchange account holders to to place bets on the horse Andrew Heffernan rode in the race using information they had received directly or indirectly from the Jockey or other licensed person relating to the prospects in the race of the named horse.
Andrew Heffernan is also charged with breaches of:
- Rule (A)36.1 in that he communicated directly or indirectly to one or more account holders on betting exchanges, for material reward, gift, favour or benefit in kind, information relating to the prospects of his rides, which was or included Inside Information knowing, such information was Inside Information
- Rule (A)33.4 in that he offered to receive or receive a bribe
- Rule (B)59.2 in that he intentionally failed to ensure that a horse ridden by him was run on its merits (Wanchai Whisper, Gallantry, and/or Silver Guest).
Of the unlicensed individuals, Rocky Michael Chopra, Paul Garner, Yogesh Joshee, Douglas Shelley and Mark Wilson have also been charged with breaches of Rule (A)33.1.2 in that they offered bribes to Andrew Heffernan.
Kelly Inglis is also charged with a breach of Rule (A)33.4 in that she connived with Andrew Heffernan to offer to receive a bribe or bribes from Rocky Michael Chopra, Paul Garner, Yogesh Joshee, Douglas Shelley and Mark Wilson.
Paul Garner is also charged with a breach of Rule (C)64.2.1 in that he placed lay bets on horses trained by Alan McCabe at a time when he was entered on the Register of Stable Employees at Alan McCabe’s yard.