- In a message broadcast to the ceremony on Monday 20 February, the Prime Minister paid tribute to the hard work and dedication of industry employees across Britain
- Mr Sunak also praised racing’s ability to ‘showcase Britain on the global stage’
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak MP has highlighted racing’s substantial contribution to Britain as he congratulated all finalists in the 2023 Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards, sponsored by Godolphin, during an awards ceremony taking place for the very first time in Yorkshire this evening (Monday 20 February).
Mr Sunak, whose Richmond Parliamentary constituency includes Middleham training centre and Catterick racecourse, praised the hard work and dedication of Britain’s stud and stable staff in providing world-class care to their horses, saying that they ‘exemplify all that is best about British racing and breeding’.
In a message broadcast prior to the announcement of the winners during a ceremony at York Racecourse, the Prime Minister also noted British racing’s role in showcasing the nation to the world and also recognised its significance not only an industry worth more than £4bn to the economy but one steeped in communities across the country.
And while wishing all finalists good luck, the Prime Minister highlighted his constituent Becky Smith, who works for the Middleham trainer Micky Hammond and is a finalist in the Leadership category.
The Prime Minister said: “I am delighted that the Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards are taking place in Yorkshire for the first time.
“From my visits to Middleham, and Catterick racecourse, both in my constituency, I have seen the sheer hard work, grit and dedication of all in British racing for the horses in their care.
“Tonight’s finalists exemplify all that is best about British racing and breeding – an industry which does so much for communities across our country, generates over £4 billion for our economy, and showcases Britain on the global stage.
“I want to see British racing and breeding stay at the front of this global race in the years ahead.
“I wish the best of luck and congratulations to all of tonight’s finalists.
“Though, if I may be a bit partisan, I do hope that Becky Smith can do the double for Middleham after Paddy Trainor’s victory last year!”
Notes to editors:
1. Full details of the Thoroughbred Industry Employee Awards sponsored by Godolphin can be found here.
2. The Awards celebrate the people who work across British racing (a £4.1 billion industry to the UK economy) and particularly the 10,000+ employees who provide care for future, current and former racehorses.
3. Rishi Sunak MP’s Richmond constituency includes the Middleham training centre, with its 13 licensed trainers, as well as Catterick Racecourse.
4. Across nine racecourses and approximately 90 training yards, the Yorkshire racing industry generates £300 million for the economy and supports 3,600 jobs.