Work visas and immigration

Individuals from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) wishing to work in the UK require entry clearance (a visa) or leave to remain, issued by the Home Office. The BHA agrees, maintains and implements horseracing’s endorsement requirements for non EEA migrants.

Any non EEA migrant who wishes to work in Horseracing in GB as a Trainer, Jockey or stable staff will be affected by current migration policies.  All will require an appropriate Visa to seek employment in GB and the type required will vary, depending on the nature of the work they will be undertaking.

Stable staff need to apply to the Home Office under Tier 2 (General) of the Points Based System to work in GB.  The only exceptions to this are those who are employed by a Trainer and seeking permission to work in GB under Temporary Tier 5 Entourage status.  The UKBA should be your first point of contact in order to establish what level of permission is needed for a migrant worker to carry out the intended activities at your yard.

The BHA agrees the criteria for endorsement requirements for trainers and jockeys with UKBA.  Individuals must meet a defined set of requirements for the BHA to issue an endorsement.

UKBA will only issue Visas to elite individuals who meet the agreed Visa requirements, which include a BHA endorsement.  The categories that Trainers or Jockeys can apply for a visa under depend on how long they wish to stay in GB:

  • Tier 2 (Sportspeople) – for individuals who wish to base themselves in GB
  • Temporary Tier 5 – Sporting – for individuals who wish to come to GB for upto 12 months.

These applications must be supported by a GB ‘sponsor’, normally a GB Licensed Trainer who has a UKBA sponsor licence.  In order to obtain this licence, trainers must apply, and be issued with an Endorsement code by the BHA.