The BHA does not take the success of the sport for granted and we know that the sustainability of our organisation rests on the investment in our people.
The BHA’s achievements
We are pleased that the BHA have been recognised as “one to watch” by the Sunday Times Best 100 Companies to Work For employee engagement survey and strive to succeed to a future number one place.
The BHA strive to be the leader in the industry and was one of the first bodies in the sporting industry to be awarded the living wage employer mark.
It is important that as an organisation we give back to our local and national communities and are proud supporters and sponsors of a range of charities and hold fundraising events throughout the year, where everyone is encouraged to take part.
Personal growth and development
At the BHA, we consider the development of our people important and we understand that people want to develop, grow and achieve developmental aspirations, therefore the BHA supports our people to achieve their potential through a range of activities.
- London Induction day
- Raceday Induction day
- Annual Performance reviews
- Buddy scheme, shadowing and mentoring
- On the job training
- Educational Sponsorship
- Management and Leadership Programmes
- Continuous Professional Development
- Internal and external training courses
- Internal recruitment, promotions and movements
- Graduate placements
- Personal Development Plans
We understand that everyone has different learning styles and levels and the BHA encourage ongoing manager and team member conversations and regular catch ups in addition to personalised annual Personal Development Plans for those looking for a BHA career. Your manager will work with you every step of the way in developing your own personal learning plan.
Armed Forces Covenant
We recognise the value serving personnel, reservists, veterans and military families bring to our business. We will seek to uphold the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant, by:
· Promoting the fact that we are an armed forces-friendly organisation by
· Publicising our Corporate Covenant on our websites and in our literature,
· Promoting our support for the Armed Forces throughout our business,
· Endorsing membership of Reserve Forces across the business and in recruitment activity
· Seeking to support the employment of veterans young and old.
· We have recruited and will continue to recruit from the community of veteran’s service personnel. They are valued within the business and have achieved positions of responsibility within the organisation. We recognise that they bring a valuable skill set that complements our philosophy of putting people at the centre of our business,
· We will participate in the Career Transition Partnership (CTP) by advertising vacancies with them and will endeavour to attend recruiting events organised by CTP.
· Striving to support the employment of Service spouses and partner:
· The British Horseracing Authority values the skill sets within this community. We already recruit partners of those in Service and we will continue to do so.
· Endeavouring to offer a degree of flexibility in granting leave for Service spouses and partners before, during and after a partner’s deployment:
· The British Horseracing Authority fully understand the additional strain placed upon families through the deployment of service personnel. Consequently, The British Horseracing Authority will consider flexibility in leave for spouses and partners both pre and post operational deployments
· Compassionate and bereavement leave is available for spouse/partners dealing with difficult circumstances
· Seeking to support our employees who choose to be members of the Reserve forces, including by accommodating their training and deployment where possible:
· We understand the increasingly important role of the Reserves and will actively promote the Reserve forces to our workforce.
· We understand Reservists commitment and the benefits for both them and the team’s developments. Consequently, we will allow for two additional weeks of paid leave for colleagues who are members of the Reserves so that they can complete their training and still enjoy the opportunity to holiday with their friends and family.
We will publicise these commitments through our literature and/or on our website, setting out how we will seek to honour them and inviting feedback from the Service community and the racing community on how we are doing.